About Me

My photo
...I am a human being first.

Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Love Breeds Love - The Outcome

Well, it happened. "Letters of Love" day came and went and was a huge success. I consider the day a success for the following reasons:

1. I had the single largest turnout of parental support I have ever had, with 52% of parents participating. I know it doesnt seem like a lot, but hey- I'm grateful for a rising number and over half who took the time. I'm optimistic enough to hope it means a change for the better in the future.
2. I had the largest number of kids who were genuinely SHOCKED by receiving their letters. Because so many of my students run their households themselves, typically, a pretty significant quantity have already discovered the secret by the time the "big day" arrives. This year, very few admitted to having known about it and those who did know about it, opted NOT to share it with their peers and risk ruining the surprise.
3. There were so many tears, I had to run to the bathroom to get more tissue!

To say that my students were grateful would be a giant understatement. They were positively OOZING gratitude, with one even saying to me, "We know our parents love us, but sometimes it is nice to hear why."

: * )

Even those whose parents did not participate were teary-eyed and thankful for the letters they did receive. One of my quietest little loveys said to me, "I cannot believe that Mrs. __ wrote me! I always loved her class!"

But perhaps my favorite quote of the day, came from an individual who said nothing in class when he received his letters. Instead, I got a private email from him later that night that said, "The letters I got today made me realize that people do notice me."

And again, if that isnt the point of the assignment, I dont know what is. :)

KP

TODAY I AM THANKFUL FOR A SOFT PLACE TO LAND WHEN I FEEL LIKE NOBODY CAN HEAR ME.

No comments:

Post a Comment