Today is December 29th, almost five years to the day I started this blog. It also marks the end, for me, of a much-needed social media hiatus. I decided to take some time off after a somewhat brutal 4 months of social media turmoil. I won't bore you with specifics, but suffice it to say that somehow I allowed myself to be deeply affected by the negativity and (in many cases) PURE EVIL of some online interactions that were in my face, daily. These were not posts directed at me. In fact, they had nothing to do with me. But seeing the constant, relentless, mean-spirited nature of some, REALLY impacted me. I tend to live my life in a state of perpetual blindness to evil. I know it exists and I am aware it is out there, but I never choose to give evil power. This time, however, I could feel the weight of their hateful words crushing my spirit and suffocating me. I started to feel like MY own joy was being drained by the sad realization that people could be so cruel to one another. I decided to take some time away (target: 2 weeks) to surround myself with everything and everyone I love, to wipe out the negative energy. And boy, did it WORK! Today is a little shy of the 2 week mark, but I feel energized, enthusiastic, refocused and READY to, once again, use JOY to combat the ills of this world. I have used my break to fill my bucket back up with some serious soul-soothers.
A quick summary: This break, I...
1. DELIVERED SUPPLIES TO A FAMILY HOMELESS SHELTER. Quinn and Sean and I did this on Christmas Eve. It was a great reminder of how fortunate we are and made me want to volunteer there in the future.
2. ATTENDED OUR ANNUAL "FRIEND-MAS" CELEBRATION WITH OUR VERY BEST FRIENDS. We are lucky to have these people in our lives. These are the "3am, we don't care if you haven't showered or if your house is messy, what can we do?" friends.
3. SIPPED HOT CHOCOLATE, DECORATED MY HOUSE AND TRIED TO SEE THE ZOO LIGHTS (but failed due to the lines- hence the sad faces).
4. HAD A WARM, AMAZING CHRISTMAS MORNING AT HOME, EATING OUR ANNUAL BREAKFAST CASSEROLE AND LOVING ON EACH OTHER, AS WE LOVED ON OUR NEW GIFTS.
5. WENT TO MY OUR FAMILIES' HOUSES - one on Christmas Eve and one on Christmas Day, surrounded by people who love and support us.
6. PLAYED WITH OUR FAVORITE NEW TOYS/GIFTS
(mine being my brand new red dishes and silverware!)
7. ATE DINNER BY CANDLELIGHT DUE TO A MULTIPLE HOUR POWER OUTAGE, WHERE WE ONLY HAD EACH OTHER TO ENTERTAIN US! :)
8. AND THIS WAS IN ADDITION TO MEETING MY FAVORITE CO-WORKERS FOR LUNCH, HAVING A DATE NIGHT WITH AN AWESOME CO-WORKER COUPLE, WINNING OVER $100 AT THE CASINO, SEEING A HIGH SCHOOL BESTIE FOR A LONG OVERDUE LUNCH DATE, SEEING TWO MOVIES IN THE THEATRE, SPENDING AN ENTIRE DAY WATCHING NETFLIX WITH MY HUBBY, AND SPENDING ANOTHER DAY OUTLET SHOPPING.
... My bucket is replenished!